Friday, January 4, 2013

2012: That's A Wrap!

2012 was actually a very busy year for me, reading-wise.... but not book-wise! I read a lot of fanfiction - 98% of it absolutely brilliant - and only a few books. Truth is, most of the books I picked up I did not enjoy. I have quite a big pile of books in my room half-read... including some from series I adore.

But there have been some great books in 2012. Here's a wrap-up of them all with the help of The End of the Year Book Survey hosted at Perpetual Page Turner!

1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
There are three that come to mind immediately... but I'd have to say If I Die by Rachel Vincent. One of the reasons I loved this book so much was because it was such a surprise - I expected a good-or-just-OK novel, and instead got a brilliant one.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? 
Easy: The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams. God, this book was just so frustrating. I had read so many great reviews of the book but found riddled with cliches and featuring the most idiotic of love triangles. Never got round to reviewing it as I couldn't face revisiting it...

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 
Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan - I enjoyed the first book in this series, but didn't think it anything special. This book proved me wrong!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
The Soul Screamers series, by far.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas - I am not really a romance reader, let alone a historical romance reader... but the first two books in this series were just SO entertaining and well written.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Again, Lisa Kleypas.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I'd say the Vampire Academy graphic novel. I was my first full-length graphic novel ever, and I really enjoyed it!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Instead of a single book, I'd say the entire Soul Screamers Series by Rachel Vincent. Even in my reading slump, I devoured these.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year.
Probably A Study in Scarlet by ACD - it's a classic for a reason.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
The UK cover of Muse by Rebecca Lim, by FAR.

11. Most memorable character in 2012? 
I adored Mercy Thompson in River Marked by Patricia Briggs this year. She has always been exceptional, but she was even more badass in that book.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Meh... none of them. All great - none "beautiful".

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 
I'd say Pure Blood by Caitlin Kitteredge... and not for a good reason. I loved the first book in this series, but this book made me want to hit things. That it came after reading two other UF novels with similar female leads didn't help...

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Doubleblind by Ann Aguirre. I had adored the first two books in the Jax series, and I wish I had dived into the sequels sooner!

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is what can you make people believe you have done.”
- A Study in Scarlet

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
I think the longest book I read this year was actually only half a book: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I read the first 500 pages, but put it down as it was getting horribly depressing...
The shortest would have to be Mercy Thompson: Homecoming by Patricia Briggs (graphic novel).

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The scene with Faythe and Jace in Prey by Rachel Vincent - I knew it was coming but... WTF?!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Vel and Jax in the Sirantha Jax series - I heart these two SO MUCH, even in spite of one of them being a bug alien... rather impressive, me thinks.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously.
River Marked by Patricia Briggs: the woman is a legend for a reason.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else.
It is really rare for me to read a book without first getting a recommendation from someone... so, all of them.

4 comments:

  1. The Soulscreamers series is great but If I Die really was awesome! My favorite of the series so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was rather stunned by how much I enjoyed If I Die - it was by far the best!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading the first three of the Soul Screamers series but for some reason I never picked it back up again. No idea why. Now I'm seriously thinking that I need to revisit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! While I liked the first few books in the series, they got so much better as they went on. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...