Mini Challenges and Dares!
This challenge is super brilliant, and may just be my favourite of the year. It's not a challenge, it's a dare: to read books only from our TBR piles until the beginning of April. Seeing as how I really, really need to deal with my mounting TBR pile, this dare is exactly what I need!
- Last Chance by Sarah Dessen
- Heist Society by Ally Carter
- Sweetly by Jackson Pearce
New Authors Challenge at Literary Escapism (sign up page)
The aim of this challenge is to read books by new-to-us authors. I've taken part in Literary Escapism's mini-challenges for this New Authors Challenge before, and found loads of great books from it. This year, I'm going all the way and will read 15 books - hopefully most from my TBR pile.
The Feminist Reads Challenge at The Hiding Spot (sign up page)
- Sarah Dessen (Last Chance)
- Ally Carter (Heist Society)
- Saci Lloyd (Quantum Drop)
- Jackson Pearce (Sweetly)
This challenge encourages you to read books that can be considered "feminist" reads. How we define feminism is up to us, but Sara at The Hiding Spot gives us this great quote for inspiration:
"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."- Rebecca West
I'm going for just 5 books, but I honestly think most of the books I read are feminist books so I will get more than that done.
- Heist Society by Ally Carter - Girl decides to save her father by pulling off the greatest art heist ever. Can't get any more equal-opportunities than that!
Book to Movie Challenge at Doing Dewey (sign up here)
This is a double challenge: to review books and their movies. Since I've got quite a few I'd like to read before their films come out, this is the perfect challenge for me! I'm going for 3 books, "Movie Fan" level, and plan to tackle:
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien - I'm half way through this and keep meaning to finish it. I plan to pair it up with a rewatch of the movie!
YA Contemporary Challenge at Katie's Book Blog (sign up here)
I've got quite a few YA Contemporary novels on my shelves that I've been meaning to get to. I'm going to be shooting for 5 books.